For related products, scroll to the end. ↓↓↓
If you use a smartphone and a PC, you probably know how difficult it is to work seamlessly between them. Working on a larger screen and then switching to the smaller screen is not seamless at all and requires you to stop what you are doing so that you can continue on the other device. There’s some good news! Microsoft has now solved this problem by allowing users on Windows 10 to place and receive Android phone calls on your Windows PC. You can also send calls directly to voicemail with the click of a button.
Many brands that offer their users’ desktop or mobile software are vying to seamlessly transition their users between a desktop and a phone; Microsoft is the latest company to do just that. Microsoft has a massive following for its Windows 10 platform, so it makes sense to launch something like this; it’s just surprising that it didn’t come sooner.
This new feature called Calls, which is now available on Windows 10 Insider Preview, was a necessary feature for several users. There are a couple of prerequisites before you can set this up:
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18999 or newer: you can sign up for the Windows Insider Program here.
- Android version 7 or newer (Android 10 is the latest version which is currently available on the latest phones).
These are the steps to set up the Your Phone app and link your phone and PC together:
1. You will need to connect Windows 10 to your Android phone. In the Windows 10 Insider Preview, open the Your Phone app.
2. Tap “Android” on the right and click “continue”.
3. Enter your mobile number and hit send; Microsoft will then send you a link via SMS that you will use to connect to your Android phone to Windows.
4. Open the SMS from Microsoft, tap on the link, and install the app from the Play Store.
5. After the app is installed, open the app.
6. In the app, fill in your Microsoft account details and tap sign in.
7. After signing in, tap “continue” and then tap “allow” to give certain permissions to Microsoft.
8. Finally, tap “allow” to let your Android device connect with your PC.
9. Tap “continue” and voila! Done.
10. Your Phone app also allows you to view notifications, photos or messages from your phone. You can even send messages.
How to make and receive Android phone calls on Windows 10
1. From the Your Phone app, in the left pane, tap “Calls”.
2. To make a call, simply search for the contact or use the dialer to make a call.
3. When you are receiving a call, a popup will appear, and you will have the option to accept/reject the call or send a message instead of answering.